Talmudic source for (1617) Quotation: How a man should clothe himself, his children, & his wife

Mark Mandel Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 24 16:12:20 UTC 2009

I don't know Avira's dates, if indeed they're known at all. But the Mishnah
-- the portion of the Talmud that contains Tractate (C)hullin -- was
compiled in the early third century (
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=660&letter=M&search=mishnah).
There were many variations and differing versions, but Avira is certainly
not modern. I suspect that the attribution to Hanina is yet another case of
what might be called attributional gravity: the bigger the name, the more
likely it is to attract (mis)attributions away from their actual sources.

I also can't find a date for this translation. The source site for the PDF
-- http://radio7stars.linkbg.com<http://radio7stars.linkbg.com/home/Books/na%20EN/Talmud%20-%2022%20Volumes/AGES/LIBRARY/v20%20ch%2006.pdf>--
is still down, and it may be gone.

Mark Mandel