Query: What does "rone" mean in "The Rafters Song"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 10 23:44:12 UTC 2009

At 5:02 PM -0500 9/10/09, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
>I've been asked the meaning of "rone" in "The Rafters Song" (words
>below; see last line of fourth verse).  OED online has several
>entrees for "rone," but none contains an appropriate meaning.  The
>term is not in DARE, and I don't find an appropriate meaning in the
>Engliish Dialect Dictionary.  A search of Google doesn't help.
>Nathaniel 'Stub' Borders was an Ozarks figure, and he wrote his song
>about 1940.
>
>I'm completely stumped.  Would anyone have any ideas on what "rone"
>below means?
>
>G. Cohen

Could it be a misspelling (or creative spelling) of "roan", i.e. a
chestnut or bay horse?  Granted, it doesn't make a lot of sense in
the context, but if when you need a rhyme, you need a rhyme...

LH