Query: What does "rone" mean in "The Rafters Song"?

Mark Mandel Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 11 01:28:09 UTC 2009

Nothing on "rone", but in looking for the song I found some background.

Googling "Rafters Song" gets a lot of irrelevancies. Mudcat Cafe doesn't
have it at all. Googling "Pike's Defeat" at least turns up something
relevant:
a. These "rafters" are men who run river rafts, not parts of a building.
b. The author of the song was one of them.
c. Pike's Defeat was a bend on the Big Piney river.

http://steamboattimes.com/rafts.html [I have corrected a couple of apparent
errors from typing the quotation into the webpage]:

---
Though the rivers (in the Ozark Hills) could not be navigated by steamboats,
they were perfect for rafting logs out of the Ozark hills. Thus began a
cottage industry of tie-hacking, and the men who became famous and infamous
in local folklore throughout the nineteenth century. Tie-hacking consisted
of cutting out the best oak in the forest, thinning rather than
clear-cutting the trees. The logs were then hacked into uniform ties, and
tied together to create a raft which could, with luck and courage, be guided
down these fast streams to St. Louis. It was a rough job, often done in the
dead of winter. Bends along the Big Piney were named for their dangerous
histories like "Pike's Defeat," "Crooked Shute," and "Devil's Elbow." When
local heroes have names like Nathaniel "Stub" Border, you know they lead
wild lives. Nathaniel lost a hand, toe, and eye before his career was over.
Because the forests were thinned rather than clear-cut, the trees lasted, as
did tie-hacking, up until right after World War I. Even after that, local
subsistence farmers would occasionally cut trees for ties well into the
1930s.
   Credit: The Transportation Landscape Within the Fort Leonard Wood Region
of the Missouri Ozarks, by Steven D. Smith.
---

(Googling "rone" turns up nothing useful visible at a glance, but the last
page of hits includes the intriguing title "Arrest and Commitment of an Aged
Rone" in a NY Times query. I thought it might be a typo for "crone", but no:
it's an OCR error for "Roue". The article, published Aug. 13, 1871, tells of
a dirty old man trying to pick up a little flower girl. PDF at
http://tinyurl.com/psn9r7 )

And -- aha! -- it is NOT "THE Rafters Song", as I also misread it, but "TIE
Rafters Song". See the start of the above quotation. And Googling for *that*
gets one hit, which, alas, is not very helpful. It's in a listing of archive
at the Missouri Institute of Science & Technology: Mann Family Recordings &
Sheet Music // Sheet Music - Music Related Material // Box 88 Fldr :

92. “Tie Rafters Song” Transcribed by CVM. Aug. 20, 1939.

http://archives.mst.edu/documents/professional_papers_and_publications.doc