Further evidence of the decline of English

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 26 00:10:37 UTC 2010

You funnin' us, man? That's shoptalk for you. Just the other day our Senior
Programmer asked me if I had any experience writing or using finite-state
transducers for text (I didn't). Adding "stochastic" to that doesn't strike
me as odd in the least.

Nor Google. A bit from the top of the first page of *141,000* rgh for *"finite
state transducers" stochastic"*:

#
Machine Translation with Inferred Stochastic Finite-State Transducers
www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/089120104323093294
#
LNCS 4478 - Inference of Stochastic Finite-State Transducers Using ...
by V Alabau - Cited by 1 - Related articles
www.springerlink.com/index/f876267680271612.pdf
#
A Statistical-Estimation Method for Stochastic Finite-State ...
Keywords Machine translation, stochastic finite-state transducers, prob-
abilistic estimation. 1 Introduction. A translation is a process that maps
strings ...
www.springerlink.com/index/G52E1H7BN3T75FJR.pdf
#
Some Statistical-Estimation Methods for Stochastic Finite-State ...
Jesús Andrés-Ferrer , Francisco Casacuberta-Nolla , Alfons Juan-Císcar, ON
THE STATISTICAL ESTIMATION OF STOCHASTIC FINITE-STATE TRANSDUCERS IN MACHINE
portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=599650 - Similar
#
Machine Translation with Inferred Stochastic Finite-State Transducers
Jesús Andrés-Ferrer , Francisco Casacuberta-Nolla , Alfons Juan-Císcar, ON
THE STATISTICAL ESTIMATION OF STOCHASTIC FINITE-STATE TRANSDUCERS IN MACHINE
portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1105714
# [PDF]
Stochastic Finite-State models for Spoken Language Machine Translation
by S Bangalore - 2000 - Cited by 57 - Related articles
www.aclweb.org/anthology/W/W00/W00-0508.pdf
# [PDF]
A Stochastic Finite-State Morphological Parser for Turkish
by H Sak - Related articles
www.aclweb.org/anthology/P/P09/P09-2069.pdf
Show more results from www.aclweb.org
# [PDF]
A Stochastic Finite-State Word-Segmentation Algorithm for Chinese
by R Sproat - 1996 - Cited by 273 - Related articles
www.ldc.upenn.edu/acl/J/J96/J96-3004.pdf - Similar

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> La tesis ... se leyó en inglés ... bajo el título, "Speech and text
> translation involving the Basque language: an application of
> stochastic, finite-state transduction."
>
> He knows English better than I do! "Stochastic, finite-state
> transduction"?! WTF is that?! I recall a serial in F&SF called "The
> Stochastic Man" and I recall "finite state" from Robert Eugene Wall's
> magnificent work, Introduction to Mathematical Linguistics (now,
> sadly, out of print, but available used for $198.14), and I've come
> across "transduction" here and there, in a variety of contexts. But,
> as used, these strings mean nothing to me.

m a m