Rocks for Jocks, etc. (UNCLASSIFIED)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 26 23:30:04 UTC 2010

The one I am most familiar with is Physics for Poets, but it had
/opposite/ meanings, depending on location. At Berkeley and some other
schools, it was a nearly math-free course for non-science majors that
satisfied the science distribution requirement. For example, see here:

http://www.phys.hawaii.edu/~solsen/physics100.html
http://www.uwsa.edu/ttt/tttv1n4.htm
http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2006/04/13/morley

Rocks for Jocks was similar.

At MIT, on the other hand, Physics for Poets was the highest level of
freshman physics, that supposedly encouraged scientific creativity.

The only other MIT denomination of this sort that I recall was the
self-explanatory "Food & Nuts", which became "Applied Biology
Department" and was eventually eliminated, with parts of it folded into
the Biology Dept.

VS-)