"zero g" antedating OT

Paul paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Thu Aug 5 21:57:20 UTC 2010

  I'm curious to know if anyone else remembers the awe of reading Pop.
Science and Science Fiction in the fifties. These references to the old
magazines, ( I always thought GALAXY was the best) remind me of how I
really believed all those ideas were just around the next corner or the
next decade.  I guess I should be glad that I don't know what 12 year
olds dream of today.

On 8/5/2010 4:45 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> OED/_Brave New Words_/OED SF Project have 1952 for "zero g" (A.C.
> Clarke, _Islands in the Sky_)
>

> John W. Campbell Jr. "Good-by to Gravity And All That" _Science
> Illustrated_ v. 4 Jan 1949 p 78
> "The rest of the trip, however, the crew will experience "zero-G"
> conditions; they will have no weight whatsoever."
> [citation metadata confirmed in Readers Guide to Periodical Literature]
> http://books.google.com/books?ei=pC5bTLDaF4P98Abpu6TcAg&ct=result&id=_Kn
> mAAAAMAAJ&dq=%22gravity+and+all+that%22&q=%22zero+g%22
>

> Kenneth W. Gatland, "Evolution of the Guided Missile" _Flight_ 3 Aug
> 1951 p 142
> http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1951/1951%20-%201495.html
> "If necessary (assuming, of course, that zero "g" has no adverse
> physiological effect), it would be possible for the crew to work outside
> the vehicles and to move themselves around the region of the space-ships
> with the aid of miniature, hand-operated rocket units."
>

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE

To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.
                            Thomas Campbell