dough boy (infantryman) antedated to 1835

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 10 20:23:02 UTC 2010

Splendid! The context and lack of explanation suggests the term was already
well established in the army by 1835. Though it had appeared occasionally in
general sources during and after the Civil War, for most civilians it was a
neologism in 1917.

Youth today think of the Pillsbury Doughboy.

JL