illegal sojourners

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Aug 18 09:23:41 UTC 2010

"Undocumented residents" (or undocumented foreign residents) is a
pretty neutral term I've come across in various U.S. and non-U.S.
contexts. In France, they are often called "sans-papiers."


Paul Frank
German, French, Italian > English
Huémoz, Aigle, Neuchâtel - Switzerland
paulfrank at
paul.frank at

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at> wrote:
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â illegal sojourners
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Â It is interesting what kind of contortions we have to through to
> define certain populations. Those who don't care to offend start with
> "illegals" (or worse). Those who do, went from "illegal immigrants" to
> "illegal aliens" (presumably not to discriminate against interplanetary
> vagabonds) to "undocumented aliens", etc. Don't tell Lou Dobbs, but,
> apparently, South Korean Anglo press refers to people belonging to a
> similar group as "illegal sojourners"--although the body of the article
> uses "unregistered foreign nationals ".
> Middle school open to illegal sojourners' children
> Perhaps it's not an official term but something lost in translation...
> Â  Â  VS-)
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society -

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list