More on early txtng

Fri Aug 20 15:25:00 UTC 2010

LH writes: (It wouldn't
> surprise me if someone found other examples from the newspapers of
> the 1820s, when the "O.K." fad was in full flower.)

  I have not ever noticed writing of the b4 u style in the local news stories/letters/humor/ads in NYC newspapers, reading chiefly ca. 1780-1860.  I don't often read the poetry in the papers, or the out-of-town news (though sometimes I am snookered by not realizing that an item is from out of town until after I have read it), or the political rantings (they had political rantings in the early 19th C, too).

Strictly speaking, the O. K. fad was the late 1830s.

GAT

George A. Thompson