"gay" in "Bringing Up Baby"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 27 02:36:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM, George Thompson
<george.thompson at nyu.edu> wrote:
> Richard Whiting; the fact that his daughter was Margaret Whiting would seem to preclude the possiblilty that he was one of the colored.

It doesn't merely *seem* to preclude that possibility. It literally
precludes that possibility, George. Both the Whitings were still alive
in kicking, back when mother was a girl, and I remember them quite
well. But where in my note do I reference the rightly-named Whitings
and attempt to smear them with the tar-brush or otherwise write
anything such as to imply that there was a nigger in the Whiting
genealogical woodpile?

BTW, wasn't Margaret often a guest on the show of Jack "The Man With
The Smile In His Voice" Smith? IIRC, that show came on right after Bob
Crosby & The Bobcats - theme song: South Rampart Street Parade - and
right before The Beulah Show - theme song: I Got The World In A Jug.
At least, that was the way it was on Saint Louis radio.

--
-Wilson
–––