Q: "scrug", a noun from circa 1676?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 4 03:55:26 UTC 2010

At 12/3/2010 10:23 PM, John McChesney-Young wrote:

>The EDD s.v. "scrog" sb.^2 offers "A quarrel, dispute."
>
>http://books.google.com/books?id=pf0_AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA286#v=onepage&q&f=false

Good intuition and/or hunting!  (The EDD also has "Scrug, see
Scrog(g, sb.").  Not in the OED, which is why my search for "scr?g"
did not turn it up.

Since neither "scrog" (in this sense) nor "scrug" is in the OED, when
I get my quotation it will surely be an antedating!  :-)  And the EDD
doesn't offer any date or quotations.

Joel