Heard on The Judges: _kickback_, n: new meaning

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 16 15:05:20 UTC 2010

The n. is new to me. The v., of course, meaning "relax" has been a big deal
in the general vocabulary since I was in college.

Rather than straight from the verb, I bet the new sense comes from a combo
of the v. and the existing nominal sense.

Just pointing out that even "obvious" etys. may not be entirely obvious.
Forty years seems like a long time to wait, especially in the communications
age, for a simple functional shift to get going.

Of course why there should have been no clearly "obvious"functional shift
(assuming there wasn't) then becomes one of those nifty Mysteries of
Language.

JL