Identifying persons by race or ethnicity in newspapers

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jan 19 01:04:14 UTC 2010

The (early)18th-century American newspapers also added the "racial"
or ethnic identity of a person -- unless the subject was white and
"English".  There weren't many Asians in the news then; aside from
"Negro", the identification most often present was "Irish".

The 18th-century newspapers invariably capitalized "Negro", but that
may have been simply because it was the custom to capitalize all
nouns.  It would be interesting to see when the capital was removed,
and compare that with other nouns for "races", etc.

Joel