Another [not] suspect quote: Ira Hayes

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 23 04:44:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> (Former Marine Corps Combat Correspondent)
> [I think this means he had been a Marine, not merely a civilian correspondent.]

Joel's thought is correct. A former roommmate was an Army combat
correspondent with the 8th Inf Div "The Pathfinders." Since the 8th ID
was stationed in Germany at the time, he saw no combat, much to his
annoyance. He had joined the Infantry in order to fight the VC and was
*intensely* disappointed that the RFM had worked in such a way as to
deny him that wish. After The Wall went up, a number of troops
originally destined for Vietnam were randomly (in the old, black-boot
Army [a minor joke; in those days, the WWII / KW Army was referred to
as "in the old, brown-boot Army..."] "randomly" was the only way that
anything ever happened to EM) reassigned to Germany.

Personally, I thought that he had lucked out and was bleeping nuts not
to appreciate that.

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain