AP: Spelling Bee protesters

Rick Barr rickbarremail at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 4 15:15:09 UTC 2010

There was a piece about English spelling in The Economist a few years ago.
It may be this one, but its content is blocked so I couldn't double-check:
http://www.economist.com/research/articlesBySubject/displaystory.cfm?subjectid=922074&story_id=E1_TTJNDRNJ

It did say something relevant to this discussion, and it is that English
takes longer to read than other European languages, precisely because of its
hectic spelling. Of course, it is unthinkable to carry through an overhaul
of English spelling. But the price paid in readability is something to take
into account.

-- Rick