AP: Spelling Bee protesters

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 4 15:22:17 UTC 2010

It's not clear to me that phonological spelling would increase readability.
English is also less inflected than most other European languages, which
(WAG warning) may require more work of a reader to figure out the structure
of the sentence. And, as has been pointed out more times than I would like
to count, English has a LOT of homophones. With phonologically consistent
spelling these would become homographs as well, increasing the confusion.

m a m