further adventures of "ironic"

Rick Barr rickbarremail at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 7 19:16:17 UTC 2010

It's an odd phrase, to say that closing down the street for the languid
parade was very ironic. I agree with George that "strange" is probably what
the speaker had in mind. But it's a special kind of strange, nuanced by the
standard meaning of *ironic*, involving a disparity between two things (the
real and the one that is presented, the intended meaning and the stated
one). I think that's what the speaker was aiming for, that it was strange to
see such a disparity between the size of the parade and the magnitude of the
chaos produced by it. I haven't seen other examples of this sort of
"ironic." Might the fact that the man was feeling IRate have prompted the
choice of IRonic?

-- Rick