The magistrate said "Merry", the defendant said "Mary"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 10 01:32:36 UTC 2010

At 5:57 PM -0700 6/9/10, David Wake wrote:
>Sheridan, writing in 1762, said that R-dropping was found only in
>northern English provincial speech.  It doesn't seem to have become
>firmly established in the prestige accent of England until the
>beginning of the nineteenth century, and I would imagine that it was
>not imported into US Northeastern and Southern prestige accents until
>still later.
>
>David

OK, good to know.  So it's actually more the British accents (like
that of King George) that are off rather than the New England ones.
I wonder if there mightn't have been other salient differences
between the dialects of Boston, Philadelphia, and Charleston at the
time of the Revolution, though.  I was under the impression that the
differences in (what would turn into) U.S. regional accents were
already distinguished by 1800, based on different settlement patterns
of those regions.

LH