"leatherhead"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Mar 1 02:29:50 UTC 2010

First, George:  I'm wondering how you decided upon the sense
"watchman".  In your quote below, isn't "leather-head" rather the
OED's "slang, a blockhead" (s.v. "leather n.")?  In which case the
OED has it as a1700 (from a dictionary) -- and not ever again!  (Its
other two instances of "leather-head" are the name of a bird.)  And
the OED has "leather-headed dunce" a1668.

Second, I find it in 1802 -- Independent Whig, published as The
Independent Whig, and Philadelphia Commercial Gazette; Date:
07-28-1802; Issue: 12; Page: [2].  [EAN]

We are informed that some leatherhead, without either talents or
honesty, and who probably wishes to mount himself on the shoulders of
the people, went about yesterday very busily, insinuating, that the
Independent Whig is endeavoring to divide the republican interest.

P.S.  The a1700 quotation is "Leather-head, a Thick-skull'd,
Heavy-headed Fellow".  It might have been hard for O'Brien's cohorts
to "beat  the d----d leather-heads' heads off."

Joel