Extendible porn

Mon Mar 15 18:25:10 UTC 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2010, at 12:47 AM, Benjamin Barrett wrote in reply to
> Wilson Gray:
>
>> From the OED: 1. Capable of being extended or stretched out; capable
>> of being enlarged in length, area, or duration, or in range or scope
>> of meaning or operation; = EXTENSIBLE.
>>
>> Your version [presumably "extensible"] gets 20 times the raw version
>> on Google, though, so I'll be more careful the next time I use this
>> word (which is fairly frequently as I often work on manufacturing
>> documents).
>
> i'd be wary of depending on raw google hits (it's possible, for
> instance, that "extensible" gets a lot of hits because of tech uses --
> as in XML for "eXtensible Markup Language"), and in any case this is
> one of those situations where we'd want to set aside informal writing
> and writing in specialized contexts, which is impossible to do on
> google.
>
> COCA shows modest numbers for all three spelling variants in written
> texts:
>   the S variant "extensible": 51 (*very* heavily from academic
> sources);
>   the D variants:
>     "extendable": 33 (mostly from magazines);
>     "extendible" 17 (largely from magazines and academic sources)
>
> (it's entirely possible that some people see a subtle meaning/nuance/
> whatever difference between the S variant and the D variant.)
>
> i'd conclude that all three variants are acceptable in serious
> writing, though some people might find the S variant "more serious" or
> "fancier", and either prefer it or disprefer it on those grounds.
>
> (i'd object in general -- as i have on Language Log in the past -- to
> using a kind of "majority vote" approach to choosing variants, in
> which only the most frequent variant is deemed correct -- One Right
> Way! -- and all less frequent variants are disapproved.)

I'm just saying that the next time I am dealing with wire drawing or memory metal and the Japanese term comes up, I'll be careful with the English variant I choose by looking through Googits to find what is in use :)  In metallurgy just like any other field, there tend to be variants that are preferred. BB