Fw: [ADS-L] yoda as a generic

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed May 5 14:40:27 UTC 2010

Maybe I'm just weird, but I knew the common noun "quisling" pretty well and pretty long before I became aware of its origin.

"Generic" common nouns derived by synecdoche from proper personal names ("quisling," "solon") seem to be a different case from common nouns (and verbs) derived from trade names ("aspirin,", I believe; or "vaseline"--still a registered trade mark? But who really says "petroleum jelly"?!).

--Charlie