origin of "mess with the bull, get the horns"?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri May 14 17:13:56 UTC 2010

1967  George W. Boswell, "Folk Wisdom in Northeastern Kentucky," _Tennessee Folklore Society Bulletin_ 33: 14.  "Play with the bull and you will get the horns."

Not the origin, of course . . . .

Charlie