origin of "mess with the bull, get the horns"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 15 04:31:10 UTC 2010

Ca, 1961, I heard it in the Army as,

Fuck with the bull (fail to follow S.O.P.), and you get horned [sic]
(take the meat = "suffer punishment that, by civilian norms, *far*
outweighs the crime")!

In my mind - a WAG, of course - the reference was to bull-fighting,
that being a sport in which people regularly fuck with bulls and
regularly get horned. Yet, as is the case with failing to follow
S.O.P., no one is forced to do it.

-Wilson

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: origin of "mess with the bull, get the horns"?
>
> 1967  George W. Boswell, "Folk Wisdom in Northeastern Kentucky," _Tennessee Folklore Society Bulletin_ 33: 14.  "Play with the bull and you will get the horns."
>
> Not the origin, of course . . . .
>
> Charlie

-Wilson
–––