Hubba-hubba [Was: Aw, naw he di?n'!]

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 15 16:37:29 UTC 2010

Not a definitive point, but ...

http://bit.ly/dsURFW
The Jacobite Relics of Scotland; Being the Songs, Airs, and Legends, of
the Adherents of the House of Stuart. Collected by James Hogg.
Edinburgh: 1819
Appendix, Part II. Whig Songs. On Her Majesty's Coronation. p. 417
> "Hubba hubba boo!" quoth the Irish dear joy,
> "You must not by fighting our triumphs annoy ;
> "For if you should cut a man in three or four halves,
> "By my shoul, you'll ne'er cure him by balsam nor salves.

The only other hit is from 1936 Fisherman's Handbook, vol. 3:
"Hubba-Hubba spinner". If nothing else, it certainly confirms the 1930s
(although no snippet appears in GB to match the text of the preview).
http://bit.ly/ci1fQG

     VS-)