Hubba-hubba [Was: Aw, naw he di?n'!]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 16 13:13:53 UTC 2010

There was even a pop song called "Hubba Hubba" copyrighted in 1944.

In general, a "masher" merely tried to ingratiate himself with a woman, to
whom he had not been introduced, by making some chance remark intended
to spark a flirtatious conversation.

He was trying to "make a mash."  That's how my grandmother explained it from
her pre-Wright Bros. understanding.

Legman claimed that the word arose in police circles to designate sexual
offenders who rubbed up against unsuspecting women for a sexual charge
(technically a "frotteur"), but though the word may have been used in that
specific, darker, way there is no evidence to suggest that that was the
original sense.

I too was nonplussed by Victor's use of "innocuous."  I'd say that
"hubba-hubba" is even less obnoxious than the (even more archaic) wolf
whistle because it can be muttered _sotto voce_ to nearby associates.

Possibly the original nuance, as applied to passing females, was "Step right
up, toots!" rather than "You are sooooooo hot!"  In other words, the focus
was the speaker's randiness and self-ballyhooed desirability, rather than
the hearer's attractiveness.

JL