Most Notable Quotations of 2010

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 20 14:44:41 UTC 2010

I like "Don't retreat! Reload!" for so many reasons.

1. It covers "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" as well as
"Don't get mad, get even!"

2. It's shorter than they are.

3. It both alliterates and assonates. Five syllables with only two vocalic
phonemes!

4. It implies that the world is uniformly a violent, desperate,
zero-sum place where lead are always flying - the way pop culture lies it!

5. It makes the adviser sound like she's got lots more sense and
guts than the advisee - always useful when offering advice.

6. It can also be used in debates on Iraq and Afghanistan

Pretty nifty for four short words!

JL