DOTI (downgrading of text initialisms)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 28 21:00:08 UTC 2010

It's a useful concept to note, but I doubt that a trend like that can be
dated with any precision. The problem is that you can only recognize it
once it already happened and it's not always clear what to watch for as
it's happening. What I said is old is the scale--from <g> to ROFLMAO and
beyond (it might have been GRVVF, not just RVVF). The more you use
chat/txt features, the more likely you are to note the frequency of each
element. I was not a frequent chat user, but between 1997 and 2005,
there was a marked increase in use of LOL as a generic response--so, it
went from "very funny" to "I hear you" in meaning. Obviously, the other
abbreviations appeared with increased frequency as well, although I am
not entirely convinced that LMAO is now as frequent as LOL was 10-12
years ago.

My other point is that scale inflation is completely natural. For
example, the more one uses expletives in his speech, the less expressive
they become--in extreme cases, they nearly serve the function of commas
and other punctuation more than a semantic function. When expletives
become initialism, the transition is even faster. It's a bit harder to
notice in writing, but, for instance, "WTF" is now as proverbial as
"LOL"--everyone is perfectly aware of what it means, but it's now used
in contexts where plain "fuck" would not normally be acceptable--if all
txting initialism were expanded, most people would sound like Dennis
Hopper in Blue Velvet. Another one is "STFU" which is not used in its
more "traditional" meaning but also in the sense "You're kidding!" or
the meek "I don't want to hear this" (but more frequently is the
equivalent of "Bite me!"). But I don't think that scale inflation is
limited to initialisms.

     VS-)