Chile

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Oct 7 12:58:54 UTC 2010

A reminiscence:  When I was in college at the U of Texas (1960s), the great Argentine fiction writer Jorge Luis Borges would spend time in Austin, every year or two, studying Anglo-Saxon language and literature with Prof. Rudolph Willard. And he would typically give a public lecture, one of which I especially remember.  He spoke about Cervantes, and he consistently pronounced the character's name as [kwIksot].

In the question period following, an earnest young man inquired of Borges why he pronounced the name that way.  His answer:  "Because I was lecturing in English."

Old academic joke:  "What is a Comparative Literature major?"  "Someone who can pronounce authors' names so they sound foreign."

Or NPR classical music jockeys . . . .

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of David A. Daniel [dad at POKERWIZ.COM]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:49 AM

I posted on this earlier this year. Chile was Chilly in the USA until
sometime in the 80's when there was a surge of hypercorrect pronunciation of
Spanish, at which time it became Chee-lay and the folks became Chee-LAY-uns
instead of just Chillyuns. This culminated in 1990 with a hilarious skit by
Jimmy Smits on SNL making fun of the whole over-pronunciation mania. It
wasn’t just Chile, of course, it was anything Spanish that happened to come
up. The Smits skit tackled such things as En-shee-LAH-Thah and
Burrrrrrr-EE-Tho as well.

Another foreign-language hypercorrection that I have watched become popular
over the last 10 or 20 years or so is the substitution of Coup de Grace
(pronounced Grahss), which is the strike/blow of mercy, with Coup de Gras
(pronounced Grah) which of course is the Strike/Blow of Fat. I used to hear
Coup de Grah occasionally, but now seem to hear it almost exclusively.
Apparently Americans think no French word ever has an ss sound on the end.
The Coup de Gras always gives me interesting mental images.
DAD