parochial school

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 6 04:26:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at gmail.com> wrote:
> While Lutherans represent a small minority in this country compared to
> Catholics, Lutheran congregations have operated parochial schools
> since the 19th c. and have used the term "parochial" in that sense for
> at least the last seven decades.

FWIW, Lutheran High School in Saint Louis - seat of the Lutheran
Church, Missouri Synod, "The Church of The Lutheran Hour" - like my
own high school alma mater, is considered to be a private, prep
school.

I lived in StL back in the day and, in those days, the bad old days,
there was only a single black, Lutheran parish parish, St. Philip's,
and it had no associated school.

Oh, and it's located in the same block as Chuck Berry's boyhood home,
on Goode Avenue. Berry's song, "Johnny B. _Goode_," is an hommage to
his old 'hood. When we first came up from Texas, we lived in the same
'hood, next door to the church. I have no idea where Chuck lived in
relation to our house, since he would have been much older, some
eleven years older than I was. He wouldn't have bothered with a little
kid like me, hardly more than a toddler at the time.

--
-Wilson
-----