parochial school

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 6 13:22:19 UTC 2011

At 8:07 AM -0400 4/6/11, Wilson Gray wrote:
>I lived in StL back in the day and, in those days, the bad old days,
>there was only a single black, Lutheran parish parish, St. Philip's,
>and it had no associated school.
>
>Oh, and it's located in the same block as Chuck Berry's boyhood home,
>on Goode Avenue. Berry's song, "Johnny B. _Goode_," is an hommage to
>his old 'hood. When we first came up from Texas, we lived in the same
>'hood, next door to the church. I have no idea where Chuck lived in
>relation to our house, since he would have been much older, some
>eleven years older than I was. He wouldn't have bothered with a little
>kid like me, hardly more than a toddler at the time.

Ah, but there was also Chuck's nephew, as featured in "Back to the
Future", who conveyed the song to his Uncle Chuck over the telephone
while Michael J. Fox, who had of course time-traveled back from 1985
to 1955 in Dr. Brown's trusty De Lorean, was playing it at top volume
during the big homecoming dance at Pine Valley High School when he
was trying desperately to get his parents to hook up so he won't end
up unexisting (I may have some of the details wrong here), thereby
leading to Chuck's plagiarizing the song from himself and yet somehow
not resulting in messing up the space-time continuum.  I can't
imagine how many electrons would be spilled over that paradox on
various blog sites if the movie had come out in the present decade.

LH