Dim sum =? savory snack

Thu Aug 18 08:19:49 UTC 2011

A nice summary. I recall being told that dim sum is served in that same time range, but was not aware of its place in the diet. I don't think I've ever had dim sum before 11:30--my impression is that that's when the restaurants start serving--so it doesn't seem like a brunch thing to me.

The question at hand is not only understanding how dim sum operates traditionally, but how it's understood in English. We certainly have places here in Seattle that serve far past the traditional time. The Bamboo Village, for example, serves until 9 or 10 pm (http://www.yelp.com/biz/bamboo-village-seattle). They also start at 10:30 am, showing that my impression of the start time is either outdated or just wrong.

One of the interesting questions is what happens to yumcha in English. My recollection is hearing people say the somewhat awkward "Let's go yumcha" because "yum" is a verb. I was told that's because you're supposed to drink a cup of tea for each dish to aid in the digestion of the oils.

The Japanese article says that there are different explanations for the origin of the word dim sum, but that in any case, it's a little something you eat between meals. That sounds like snack food, which is perhaps how many people understand it in the English-speaking world.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA