Interesting phrasing

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Aug 24 14:36:03 UTC 2011

At 8/24/2011 09:54 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>BTW, the news claims (truthfully, I suppose) that the quake was "felt" in 22
>states and Canada.
>
>Felt by what super-sensitive devices?  I'm in an adjoining state and neither
>I nor anybody I've asked felt or noticed anything at all.

You're too grounded, Jon.  People on upper floors in Boston and
Cambridge (Kendall Square area) alleged in television interviews that
they felt it.

I did not, in Arlington -- MA, that is.  But I live near the top of
"The Foot of the Rocks" -- from which British flankers fired on the
patriots during their retreat from Concord -- from the elevated side,
that is, not the foot -- and beneath me is bedrock.  There would be
less earth motion than in the land-fill areas of Boston and East
Cambridge.  (I also slept through an earthquake in San Francisco, so
perhaps I am not typical.  But then again, I grew up not too many
blocks from the Jerome Ave. elevated.)

(Was the Verizon guy was anticipating aftershocks?)

Joel