Kefir

Wed Dec 14 17:26:14 UTC 2011

The OED definition of "kefir" needs updating. It says:

-----
An effervescent liquor resembling koumiss, prepared from milk which has been fermented; employed as a medicine or food for invalids.
-----

I tried two different kefirs over the past two days. Neither struck me as effervescent (though perhaps they actually are) and they certainly are not made from alcohol.

Kefir is a popular in the US, drunk by people regardless of whether they are sick or not.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA