"the most clutch" (adjectival phrase)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 19 22:45:38 UTC 2011

Although I'm quite certain that I've heard "most clutch" before--largely
under similar circumstances (e.g., "most clutch performance"), most of
the stuff mentioned by Ron is virtually never described in the manner he
suggests. When talking about clutch hitting, we get "better clutch
hitter" or "better hitter in the clutch", either way modifying "hitter",
not "clutch". If the degree of clutchness was more common, we hear more
"more clutch hitter" instead. But we don't. It's still rare. So is, "How
clutch is that hit?!"

VS-)