"the most clutch" (adjectival phrase)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 20 00:46:10 UTC 2011

Well, it's all relative, but the first page of hits on "how clutch is (X)" contains examples where X = Lebron James, Robert Horry, Kobe Bryant, and Kevin Durant (all basketball), Mike Rupp (hockey), A-Rod (baseball), Drew Brees and Mark Sanchez (football), and a parking spot in the rain.  All seemed natural (although varying in whether they presupposed a positive answer, a negative answer, or neither).  I didn't check the other (purportedly) 46,000 or so raw g-hits, but I don't agree that this is a rare construction.

LH