does and is (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Feb 23 22:09:09 UTC 2011

LH wrote
> There are also sarcastic conjunctions ("And I'm Marie of
> Romania"--wasn't there a Dorothy Parker poem on this theme?) and
> conditionals ("If p, I'm a monkey's uncle/I'll eat my hat" or the
> earlier "I'm a Dutchman if I do"), although the latter is more
> broadly rhetorical rather than simply sarcastic.

Yes, Dorothy Parker wrote a poem called "Comment" that contains the
line above. It was published in the collection "Enough Rope" in 1926
according to several references and according to the bibliographic
data in the link below into the Google Books archive:

Comment
    Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
    A medley of extemporanea;
    And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
    And I am Marie of Roumania.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IipbAAAAMAAJ&q=Roumania#search_anchor

Wikipedia states "First printed in New York World, (16 August 1925)",
but I do not have access to a database with the New York World in 1925
to verify the claim.