Creaky voice

Sat Jan 1 18:43:12 UTC 2011

I used to do some research at Edinburgh with a colleague of mine, a voice quality expert, on the dialectal component of voice qualities, both phonation type (which creak falls under) and articulatory setting, trying to find constraints on phonemic inventory and sound change driven by one or the other kind of voice quality.  One thing we found that most Americans have at least some degree of creak (as do upper-middle-class Edinburgh speakers).  The degree varies, though. and besides nasality, the label of "Long Island lockjaw" suggests a close jaw articulatory setting on top of everything else, which is definitely not a common American trait   That I do associate with upscale speakers from the East Coast of both sexes--if I try to do an accent typical of the (male) preppies I grew up with in New Jersey--kind of like a rhotic version of ex-governor Tom Kean or William F. Buckley--I automatically increase creak, close my jaw and retract my tongue to add a bit of pharyngealizati!
 on.  I don't do anything with nasality (and I'm quite DEnasal, though that can be perceived as nasal), but offhand, as a hypothesis, this is where the gender divide in upscale New Jersey creakers comes in.  Female speakers have the nasality, males don't.  Both sexes, though, seem to have the pharyngealization as part of the whole VQ complex.   Midwesterners identify this setting as an "affected" voice, though I think there are native speakers with this setting, too.

Paul Johnston