Is aborted

Federico Escobar federicoescobarcordoba at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 6 23:45:46 UTC 2011

Garson, I'm far from the first to say such a thing, but you're really good
at this. You separated the wheat from the chaff quite effectively on a
search that was difficult to pick apart because of the more common forms of
the "abort" passive that swamped page after page of search results. Thanks
for sharing your findings. Very interesting.

Those helpful examples from the OED were not in my version of the dictionary
(OED2), which I'm afraid is becoming quickly superannuated. But the yearly
fees for the online OED are still too steep, as I see it. (This OED fee
situation came up in an earlier thread, and some people suggested turning to
public libraries for access; alas, the one closest to me doesn't have an OED
subscription.)

Speaking of dictionaries, a side note. It's almost silly of me to be
enthused by such a thing, in this great age of marvelous technological
advances, but I was impressed by the "Voice search" allowed by the
Merriam-Webster iPod/iPhone/iPad app. You just speak into the device, and
the app will find the word. It's fairly reliable. I haven't seen anything
like it online (and it's free: hint, hint, OED).

F.