coloured folk

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 15 18:21:10 UTC 2011

When I did some research on the occurrences of
"black", "Negro", "nigger", "niger", etc., I did
not think to look for "colo[u]red" [folk, people,
men, women, ???].  Perhaps not very interesting
to the OED, which seems to treat these as just instances of "coloured" 2.b.

But for "colored folk" -- In 18th Century
Newspapers (aka EAN), the earliest I see are two
instances of "colored folk" in 1831, both from
the Rhode-Island Republican {Newport] and both in
speech purported to be the dialect of the
"colored folk".  I find no instances of "coloured
folk" that are not "coloured silk".

"The colored people" and "the colored race" start in the late 1780s.

Joel