furore

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 20 20:42:51 UTC 2011

In Cameron's "Believe you me" speech today, he referred to "furore"
(pronounced close to the original Italian, as opposed to the usual "furor").
A BBC commentator then repeated the same word in his account. Both entries
need an update in the OED--the last mention of main furor gloss is 1862,
with two related entries tapering off in 1860 and 1868. For furore, the
respective dates are 1970 and 1867. Since it appears that these are in the
category of "divided by a common language", more recent citation would be
useful. I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out why British usage
would forgo the Latin/French version in favor of Italian, but the US version
follows the other form, and this appears to be the /earlier/ form.

VS-)