cut the mustard

Thu Jul 21 06:23:12 UTC 2011

While searching for examples of "cut the mustard" I found some
examples of "cut much mustard." This phrasing makes the interpretation
of "mustard" based on "pass muster" unlikely, I think, within the
thoughts of these particular early writers.

Cite: 1901 July 5, Kansas City Star, Advertisement for: The Depot
Carriage and Baggage Co., Page 5, Column 6, Kansas City, Missouri.
(GenealogyBank)

A girl gets tired of sitting on the front porch night after night with
no other entertainment than your low, musical voice. You may swear by
yonder moon that she is the onlyest only, but every woman takes that
for granted anyhow, and so you can't cut much mustard on that [?]ay.

I am not certain what the [?] character is in the page image. It looks
like an "l".

Cite: 1905 December, Power: Devoted to the Generation and Transmission
of Power, High Pressure Steam Pipe Flanges by Franz Koester, Page 737,
Column 2, Hill Publishing Co. [McGraw-Hill], New York. (Google Books
full view)

One man runs a rivetin' machine, another manages a wind-jammin' tool,
still another sets tubes, an' not one of the bunch, outside of the
foreman mebbe, could any more lay out an, build a boiler than he could
turn handsprings over the moon. Workin' that way, of course, a man has
use for his hands, but mighty little for his head. The thinkin' seems
to be done by the machines. With plenty of newfangled tools for every
sort of work it's all dead easy; but such men wouldn't have cut much
mustard in my old handshop.

http://books.google.com/books?id=YcAfAQAAMAAJ&q=mustard#v=snippet&

Cite: 1909 August 16, Salt Lake Telegram, The Orpheum Has An Average
Bill, GNB Page 10, Column 6, Salt Lake City, Utah. (GenealogyBank)

His work is high class every minute and is genuinely clever and
original. The youngster also gives Americans an idea of the popular
dance in the London music halls. He is the headliner of the bill and
without him it would not cut much mustard.

Garson