"sable [gentry]"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 21 17:47:07 UTC 2011

I suspect searching for "sable" with other terms
besides "gentry" would turn up many more
instances in the early 19th century.  (I think I
once complained to Jesse that the use to refer to
people seemed more than merely "joc.")

In Hawthorne's "Old News I", written probably in
1828-1829 and first published in 1835, he uses "sable" twice:

"There was a coachmaker at this period, one John
Lucas, who seems to have gained the chief of his
living by letting out a sable coach to funerals."

"The sable inmates of the mansion were not
excluded from the domestic affections: in
families of middling rank, they had their places
at the board; and when the circle closed round
the evening hearth, its blaze glowed on their
dark shining faces, intermixed familiarly with their master's children."

Joel