"sable [gentry]"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 21 18:26:02 UTC 2011

On Jul 21, 2011, at 1:47 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> I suspect searching for "sable" with other terms
> besides "gentry" would turn up many more
> instances in the early 19th century.

Indeed, but I was looking specifically for “sable gentry”, partly because I was making the case (to myself, at least) that the OED entry for “sable” should have an entry for that collocation along with that for “his sable excellency”, “sable majesty”, and such.  In fact, the entry doesn’t include any cites for “sable gentry”, much less an actual subentry for it.

My own preferred sable is the eponymous smoked fish, which isn’t even the appropriate color.  (It was alternately known in our family as “chicken carp”, which just seems weird.)

>  (I think I
> once complained to Jesse that the use to refer to
> people seemed more than merely "joc.”)

Exactly.  Jocular to whom?  I was impressed by the acumen of that passage ("that false elevation of language, a preposterously inflated lexis, deliberately employed to mock”) from Meredith in the 1840s.

LH