Idiom: throwing (shoving) under the bus [political sacrifice or removal] (probably 1985)

Thu Jun 23 19:49:49 UTC 2011

Stephen Goranson very kindly checked the 1985 (or 1984) citation for
"shove under the bus" on paper at the Perkins Library (any errors in
the following are mine).

Book Title: The Virginia papers on the Presidency [serial].
Publisher: Washington : University Press of America, [1979-
Paper: "Presidential Nominations: A British Perspective" by Dennis
Kavanagh (pp. 51-71)
IV" but no exact date given.
Book copyright: 1985.
Volume: 19
Quotation Page: 56-57

Excerpt:
In 1975 the party was stuck with a leader under whom it couldn't win
an election. But there was no way of getting rid of him. All that had
been achieved in 1965 was the introduction of a scheme for electing
the party leader, but no procedure for the re-election of the leader.
So they were stuck with him unless you could shove him under the bus.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1hyHAAAAMAAJ&q=shove#search_anchor

Charles C Doyle wrote:
> But what exactly is the image in the expression "throw under
> the bus"?  Do we envision the one to be thrown as riding on
> the bus (presumably, then, in the very front), or standing beside
> the street? On the basis of some of Garson's quotations--and
> the wording of the variant "shove under the bus"--the latter
> seems more probable.  Though it might be different if, say,
> Mrs. Palin were to throw one of her assistants under the bus.

When the phrase was discussed at the Word Detective website in 2008
the following imagery was suggested:

.. to me the phrase conjures up the classic urban nightmare of being
pushed in front of a bus. As a way to quickly and irreversibly get rid
of someone, “throwing” them under a bus in this sense would be the
ideal solution and would satisfy the connotations of sudden, cold
brutality the phrase usually carries.

http://www.word-detective.com/2008/02/12/under-the-bus-to-throw/

The Wikipedia entry contains similar imagery based on its 1990
citation of a story by Charles Bukowski: Septuagenarian Stew (The Life
of a Bum): "character Harry pushed his friend Monk in front of a bus,
and then stole Monk's wallet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throw_under_the_bus

By default I think the unfortunate target is standing beside the street unaware.