"spa" = 'neighborhood grocery store', aka 'convenience store'?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Mar 1 15:22:07 UTC 2011

At 3/1/2011 08:16 AM, Amy West wrote:
Maybe check business listings categorized for groceries and search for
>"spa"?

That seems a possible way of determining localization, as Barbara
Need enquired about.  But I suspect the OED wouldn't get any useful
quotations!  (A problem with some of Bill Mullin's early citations,
suggestive as they are about dating.)

When I was searching yesterday, I did get via Google some hits that
looked like business directory listings --  "Smith's Spa" classified
as "grocery".  I'll see if I can reconstruct that.

Joel