V-NOTY -- "to (Charlie) sheen"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 9 00:54:14 UTC 2011

At 7:36 PM -0500 3/8/11, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Verbed-Noun Of The Year?  Here in the
>participular --  "(Charlie) Sheen-ing"  (nounal) & "sheening" (verbal).
>>From the NYTimes Sunday:
>http://tinyurl.com/5sln42y
>-----
>When Your Life Becomes a Verb
>By LAURA M. HOLSON
>Published: March 4, 2011 [on paper on March 6]
>
>LAST Monday night Matt Stone and Trey Parker, the
>creators of “South Park,” regaled the audience of
>“Late Show with David Letterman” with a vivid
>description of their appearance at the Academy
>Awards ceremony in 2000. They told the audience
>how they decided to dress in drag that night —
>their hairy chests scantily covered in silk and
>taffeta — which they fretted was a mistake even before they left home.
>
>“Then we did some Charlie Sheen-ing and we were
>fine,” said Mr. Parker, to a roar of laughter.
>Added Mr. Stone: “We were just sheening our heads off.”
>
>But what, exactly, did that mean? Drinking? A
>raucous pre-Oscars party involving cocaine and porn stars?
>-----
>The article goes on to discuss the
>meaning(s).

As the promoter of "prehab" for its (successful!)
WOTY candidacy (it prevailed as "most creative"),
I feel compelled to add that Holson's article
also goes on (in the very next sentence) to cite
the below-mentioned ur-Sheenonym:

==========
Charlie Sheen, whose stints in and out of rehab
sparked the street slang "prehab" last year and
whose recent tirade against his "Two and a Half
Men" bosses has America agog (though maybe not as
aghast as one might expect), is back with another
pop-culture idiom. "Apparently sheened is the new
verb," wrote a poster on Twitter,...

Nice contrast between "agog" and "aghast" too.

LH