"a warning singsong"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 16 15:04:34 UTC 2011

I don't think so. I don't recall that as being nearly as rhythmical and
up-and-down as what I'm thinking of.

But even so, it would still have been in the early '50s.

Has anybody heard the "warning singsong suprasegmental" from speakers born
before, say, the 1920s?

I get the feeling that it was invented by pioneering rug-rats and carried
over into "grownup" life.

JL