the new limits of "novel" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 29 16:30:09 UTC 2011

This reminds me of a student platitude that rose to the level of an ironic
proverb when I was in graduate school (mid to late '70s): "A poem can mean
anything you want it to."

This was something that freshmen told us rather frequently, sometimes in
disgust, sometimes with enthusiasm, sometimes (it seemed) on the basis of
high-school instruction - misapprehended, I hope.

GB turns up two exx. from books in the early '80s (only); the Web turns up
over a hundred more raw Ghits.

Fred might be interested for the next YBQ. Surely it's been thought by
millions - though perhaps not very often before the cultural watershed of
the hippie movement (fl. ca.1967-ca.1973).

JL