Question about public domain works in Google Books with a Harvard library example (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Nov 2 23:57:18 UTC 2011

Thanks to Ben, Bill, Victor, and Ken for very informative responses.

One confusing aspect of this question, to me, is the radically
restricted access allowed for a work published in 1912. No snippets
are shown and no page numbers are given for The Fra, Volume 9. I
thought access was restricted in this way only when a copyright holder
made a request to restrict access.

Although this thread was started with a somewhat narrow question about
the access that has been granted by GB to one particular book I hope
that the discussion illuminates the situation for other books

The bibliographic information provided by GB for The Fra Volume 9
indicates the volume was scanned four years ago in 2007. Many public
domain works that were scanned in later years have already been
cleared and are fully accessible.

Title: The Fra, Volume 9
Editors: Elbert Hubbard, Felix Shay
Publisher: E. Hubbard, 1912
Original from: Harvard University
Digitized: Mar 19, 2007

Several volumes of The Fra published before and after Volume 9 are
fully accessible through GB and HathiTrust. Here Is a list of volumes
at HathiTrust:

Full view v. 02 (inc.) (1909) vol. 2, no. 5 (original from University
of Illinois)
Full view v. 03 (inc.) (1909) (original from Princeton University)
Full view v. 04 (inc.) (1909 - 1910) (original from Princeton University)
Full view v. 10 (inc.) (1912 - 1913) (original from Princeton University)
Full view v. 11 (1913) (original from Princeton University)
Full view v. 12 - 13 (inc.) (1913 - 1914) (original from Princeton University)
Full view v. 14 (1914 - 1915) (original from Princeton University)
Full view v. 17 (inc.) (1916) (original from Princeton University)

It is always possible that an oversight has been made or a glitch in
the database inadvertently blocked access.
Garson