Question about public domain works in Google Books with a Harvard library example (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Nov 14 02:45:05 UTC 2011

Update: The Librarian for Collections Digitization at Harvard sent a
response to me. She told me that she did not know the reason that
access to "The Fra: Volume 9" (1912) was blocked in Google Books. She
also said that she would ask the individuals involved in the Google
project at Harvard why there are restrictions on public domain works.
(As noted by respondents on this thread there might be some subtle
reason that the work is not in the public domain.)

I used the "Report an issue" link provided by Google Books to request
the removal of access restrictions to "The Fra, Volume 9" and there
has been no response.  Most of my requests of this type receive no
response and the volumes remain inaccessible.

Meanwhile I have located earlier instances of the time-distortion joke
about Philadelphia, so I do not need to pursue this cause with fervor.
A separate note will describe the earlier cites.
Garson